Tuesday, August 23, 2016

A Surplus of Tomatoes

Some of you know, but for those who do not, we have just moved to Manitoba about a week ago... and I'm talking rural Manitoba! For a family who has lived in a city all of our lives, we were really looking forward to living in the country. And we got our wish.

We are now the proud owners of 5 acres... no wait... make that 6 acres. The family who lived here before us had 2 teenagers and I guess that they ate a lot because we now have  two gardens to take care of. What we are going to do with everything... I have no idea, but I think tonight it's going to be TOASTED tomato sandwiches.

The toasted part comes from my childhood when Mom used to pack our lunches in the morning and when the tomatoes from the garden were ripe... we got a lot of tomato sandwiches in our lunch. Now while that might sound like a healthy lunch, they were pretty gross.  By lunch time all the juices from the tomato had soaked through the bread making it one soggy mess.

So, that is the reasoning behind the sandwiches.

It's amazing what little memories come back to you after years and years. I just couldn't fathom eating a un-toasted sandwich regardless of when it was made. It just instantly takes me back to those horrible sandwiches of my youth!

I wonder what we will be having tomorrow night. Did I mention all the zucchini in the garden??

No comments:

Post a Comment