Sunday, August 8, 2010

Roasted coffee beans, the world's primary sour...
It is amazing what you can find when you digging... or even asking for that matter. It is amazing what people will tell you and most of the time... it's interesting!

*In Greece, the oldest member of the family is always served their coffee first. At this point in time, that wouldn't be me... but my day is coming lol...

*In North America, it seems that we live on coffee, beginning when we first wake up, and more often than not, finishing our day with cup. In Italy, coffee seems to be an event more than something that we just take for granted. I kind of like that!

*Remind me to pass on Cowboy Coffee if I am ever asked. Apparently, it is made in quite an usual way that begins with a sock... clean, but still a sock.The sock is filled with coffee and then placed in a pot containing cold water. The pot is heated over a campfire and the the coffee in poured into mugs and shared. Just something about that is turning off lol... On the other hand, it does have this comradery to it that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. Nah... think I will still pass.

*If you are watching your caffeine intake, apparently the stronger the roast, the less caffeine the coffee contains. I would have thought that it would be the other way around. Good thing, because I like my coffee strong!!

*Now here is something interesting... the next time that you pour yourself a cup of coffee, check out the size of the bubbles. What you are going to be looking for are lots of little bubbles. They stand for good luck. What you don't want to see are large bubbles... those stand for bad luck but between you and me, I'm going to turn that around. If I see a big bubble in my coffee, I look at it as a win is coming my way.
 
*I guess I never gave it very much thought, but there is some work to be done before we actually get to the coffee bean. Apparently in the fields  coffee "cherries" grow on the coffee bushes and every single one of them has to be picked by hand. Inside the coffee "cherries" you will find two beans. That is a lot of work for a single cup of coffee if you think about it. Later this afternoon when I make a pot of coffee, I think that I will be a bit more grateful at just how easy it is for me to enjoy a cup!

* The industry can't quite decide whether coffee is good for you or not. I guess that it is a personal thing. My husband can't drink coffee after 3:30 which drives me nuts. I can drink it all day long and then sleep like a baby the minute my head hits the pillow. Not so with my husband. He will be wide awake most of the night. For me, I find that coffee relaxes me.

* Apparently over 50% of the "adults" living in North America drink coffee in some form. I guess that puts my 28 year old daughter in the other 50% of the population. One thing that I have noticed though is the fact that her teeth are a whole lot white than mine are. Is it the lack of coffee?? The only thing that I can base my findings on is the fact that her diet is pretty much identical to ours... other than the fact that she is a veggie junky.

* As of today, a regular cup or ordinary coffee will cost you somewhere around $1.38 which reminds me of a little coffee shop in my old home town. Every morning a group of seniors would meet for coffee and a good chat and on one particular morning, the gentlemen at the table were extremely upset. Coffee had just been raised to $1.00 and they weren't having it... and there wasn't a person in the coffee shop that wasn't aware of it lol.

* As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.  Author Unknown

So there you have it...a few little odd little tidbits about coffee that I was unaware of!

Image via Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment