Sunday, September 27, 2009

Oatmeal Memories

Tradtional 28-ounce tin of McCann's Steel Cut ...Image via Wikipedia

Well, this isn't exactly my memory, but one my mom told me about her grandparents. Apparently, she loved to go and stay in the country with her mother's parents during the summer holidays and it was oatmeal that was served every morning. While this isn't anything amazing, it did give me a little glimpse of my great, great grandparents. Great granddad was a very brisk, strict sort of man and he didn't seem to think that a child needed milk AND sugar on their oatmeal for breakfast and while he was at the table, he would insist that they choose just one. Of course, my mom, being a very quiet little girl, would do exactly as instructed. However, the minute granddad was out the door, my great, great grandmother would turn to mush and insist that her little granddaughter help herself to both... which of course my mother did.

I have lots of little anecdotes about my family and the foods that they loved... but it will never be enough. If you haven't started asking for these stories, be sure you do. It makes your family tree so much more colorful! (My Mom just turned 76 this year, so the stories are even more precious)


You might also want to join me here Too little time and too many ideas. ;)



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. I love McCann's oatmeal. I don't eat it during the hot summer months, so it's one of the things I look forward to about autumn. I like it best with peanut or almond butter stirred in. Yummo.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never tried peanut better stirred in... but you definitely have me curious now! I'm definitely going to give this idea a try!

    ReplyDelete